Painter and Decorator
Painter and decorator job description
Roofer tile roofs, re-slate, replace lead sheeting, cladding and fit sky lights.
Average salary per year
Average range salary per year
£13,000 - £32,000
1. How to become – cards and qualifications
There are no set qualifications to become a painter and decorator.
Employers have no set requirements but do value experience.
LEVEL 2 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN DECORATIVE FINISHING AND INDUSTRIAL PAINTING OCCUPATIONS
LEVEL 3 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN DECORATIVE FINISHING – PAINTING AND DECORATING (CONSTRUCTION)
LEVEL 3 CONSTRUCTION DIPLOMA – PAINTING AND DECORATING TRAINING QUALIFICATION
LEVEL 3 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN OCCUPATIONAL WORK SUPERVISION
You will need to have a CSCS card to work on a construction site. Please see the below CSCS cards available for painter and decorators and links for more information.
2. Skills duties
Skills you will need:
- Good maths skills to work out quantities/prices and areas.
- Understand building plans
- Health and safety awareness
- Good measuring skills to work out the amount of paint required.
- Prepping walls and materials.
- Removing / stripped layers of paint and wallpaper.
- Make sure surfaces are level by filling holes.
- Adding primer and undercoat.
- Mixing paint for specific shades of colour.
3. Career progression
- Contract management
- Interior or set design
- Apprentice training
|Starter||£15,000 – £18,000|
|Experienced||£21,000 – £25,000|
|Highly Experienced||£25,000 – £30,000|