Dryliner job description
Roofer, tile roofs, re-slate, replace lead sheeting, cladding and fit sky lights.
Average salary per year
Average range salary per year
£13,000 - £32,000
1. How to become – cards and qualifications required for roofer
There are no set qualifications to become a roofer.
Employers have no set requirements but do value experience.
Experience can be gained through:
@ Roofing labourer
@ Specific training – Level 2 Diploma in Roof Slating and Titing – [link]
For the majority of jobs you will require a CSCS card to work on site.
The Roofing Industry Alliance has more information about qualifications.
You will need to have a CSCS card to work on a construction site. Please see the below CSCS cards available for roofers and links for more information.
2. Skills duties
Skills you will need:
- Good maths skills to work out quantities/prices and areas.
- Understand building plans
- Health and safety awareness
- Fitting felt sheets to roofs
- Cutting and measuring roofing materials
- Repairing broken tiles / slates
- Covering roofs with tiles, slates and cladding
- Fitting lead flashings
3. Career progression
Gaining the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Roofing Occupations. Also heritage conservation which leads to jobs in thatching and solar panels.
- Roofing surveyor – working with architects
- Site manager
- Roofing consultant and own busines
4. Dry liner job titles
- Carpenter Apprentice
- Lead Carpenter
- Finish Carpenter
- Trim Carpenter