Guide to how to get your Red Apprentice card, including requirements, costs and test centres.
What is the Red Apprentice Card
The Red Apprentice card is for operatives who are on their first steps towards a career in the construction industry. They must have registered on an apprenticeship scheme.
Holding this card show employers that you have the relevant health & safety awareness required to gain hands-on site experience.
CSCS rED Card Requirements
Step 1 – All applicants apply for the Red card need to be on an accredited apprenticeship scheme.
Step 2 – You have to confirm you are on a apprentice scheme by the following ways:
- Your Apprenticeship Agreement.
- Provide a letter from your apprenticeship training provider saying you are registered with them and which qualifications.
- Provide a letter from the Managing Agency of your apprenticeship agreeing that you are registered on a scheme.
You do need to have pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test
You may be exempt from passing this if you have any of the below:
- An email or letter from your apprenticeship managing agency stating hat they are a managing agency and confirming that you have met the their health and safety requirements.
- Provide certificate for a one day Health and Safety Awareness course.
- A Health and Safety unit included in your induction or initial qualification.
Green Labourers Card Expiry Time
How to get a Red CSCS Card
- Call directly 0344 99 44 777 – You will have to email your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE you call
- MAY 2019 – CSCS no longer provides a postal application service. To apply then call CSCS direct on 0344 994 4777
- You can use a company to manage your application, use our select form below to find a test centre near you
ACTION – CSCS Red Card test – Centres near you
CSCS Red Card Cost
Cards cost £36 and the separate CITB Health, safety and environment test costs £21. Total cost £57.
*PLEASE NOTE – Some companies card a administration fee to manage your test and course.
Once you have completed your apprenticeship you are eligible to apply for a Blue Skilled Worker or Gold Advanced Craft card.
Other CSCS Cards
How long does it take for the Green Card to arrive?
It takes up to 5 working days for your card to arrive once you have call CSCS and provided them your course certificate.
How long is a Green card valid for?
Valid for 5 years.
How do I renew my CSCS Card?
Once the 5 years had passed you need to apply for the card again and retake the test. More information can be found on our CSCS card renewal info.