Bricklayer job description
General bricklayers repair walls and build houses, chimneys and stone work. They also deal with restoration work.
Average salary per year
Average range salary per year
£15,000 - £35,000
1. How to become – cards and qualifications
1. An apprenticeship in bricklaying
2. Apprenticeship with a bricklaying company is an ideal way to a career as a bricklayer.
There are a few NVQ courses for bricklayers:
LEVEL 2 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN TROWEL OCCUPATIONS
LEVEL 3 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN TROWEL OCCUPATIONS
LEVEL 3 NVQ – DIPLOMA IN OCCUPATIONAL WORK SUPERVISION
LEVEL 3 CONSTRUCTION DIPLOMA BRICKLAYING TRAINING QUALIFICATION
You will need to have a CSCS card to work on a construction site. Please see the below CSCS cards available for bricklayers and links for more information.
To obtain a CSCS card please click the below button to find your nearest CSCS test centre.
2. Skills duties
Skills you will need:
- Mathematical skills for measuring and material mixing
- Team work and attention to detail
- HSE – health and safety rules
- Arch building
- Chimney bulding
- Refactory bricklayer
- Brick paving
3. Career progression
- Team leader
- Construction manager
- Self-Employed Contractor/Sub-Contractor
|Starter||£15,000 – £19,000|
|Experienced||£20,000 – £30,000|