There are no set qualifications to become a painter and decorator.
Employers have no set requirements but do value experience.
LEVEL 2 NVQ - DIPLOMA IN DECORATIVE FINISHING AND INDUSTRIAL PAINTING OCCUPATIONS
LEVEL 3 NVQ - DIPLOMA IN DECORATIVE FINISHING - PAINTING AND DECORATING (CONSTRUCTION)
LEVEL 3 CONSTRUCTION DIPLOMA - PAINTING AND DECORATING TRAINING QUALIFICATION
LEVEL 3 NVQ - DIPLOMA IN OCCUPATIONAL WORK SUPERVISION
You will also need to have a CSCS card to work on a construction site. Please see the below CSCS cards available for painter and decorators and links for more information.
1. Good measuring skills to work out the amount of paint required.
2. Prepping walls and materials.
3. Removing / stripped layers of paint and wallpaper.
4. Make sure surfaces are level by filling holes.
5. Adding primer and undercoat.
6. Mixing paint for specific shades of colour.
Painter and Decorator Average Salaries
Newly trained: £15,000 - £18,000
Experienced: £21,000 - £25,000
Highly Experience: £25,000 - £30,000
Salaries depend on location, employer and any overtime you may do. Self-employed general construction operatives set their own pay rates.